Well. What has happened in the past few weeks? I have begun my final quarter of high school, which is coming to an end very soon; I have become the ripe old age of 17, and I have tried yet again to find something worthy of writing about. Tonight, I began to write a song, but the first line stuck in my head. The story that came about wrote itself. I wanted to practice the rich imagery of words that so many great authors have a grasp of. This is my attempt at a >500 word short story.
"City"
I watch the lights fade over the city. The gentle glow of frenzied lives flows across the horizon. The night is alive with a hurried breath, a desperate hope for peace one day in this every moving world. A place or time that is coming; a final moment to rest. Rest in peace.
It is and always will be the same. Tiny, miserable beings trying to scratch out a life worth living in a twisted and cruel world. Every day as tiny and miserable as the last as we bury the wisdom of our fathers, as they did to theirs. The world turns on. I smell the smells the night brings. The discarded butts of cigarettes sting my nose as they waft their last wisps of smoke into the chill night air; peacefully dying in the darkness. The people of this city are much the same. I head the sirens, the scuffle of feet. The sounds that echo through the heart of this solemn night.
A man walks toward me. He is plain, like a curtainless window, and his stride is short. His breath shows in the cool night air.
He stumbles. His breath comes in ragged gasps, every more difficult to draw. He slowly sinks to the cold concrete at his feet. He is still at last. No cloud rises from his lips. His eyes are opened wide, offering a final, horrible glimpse into his troubled soul. It is the heart of a man in torment, now at rest. This is his peace. His gnarled, wrinkled fingers slowly unfurl, and the syringe drops, shattering against the unforgiving street. The glow of those frenzied lives is reflected in the shards of glass. I watch as it all fades, just one more who looked for peace as the lights fade over the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment